Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Guest Knife Review: The Bear Grylls Survival Knife

This is the new, wildly-popular  Bear Grylls knife. How good is it?
Editor's Note: I have been meaning to review the new Gerber Bear Grylls survival knife, because questions have been coming in about it from readers.
I'll say this right up front: I don't like what Bear Grylls does on his TV shows. In my opinion, Bear is a charlatan and a fraud and a foolhardy thrillseeker who is a BAD example (in the wilderness) for people honestly seeking survival knowledge.
But there is no denying Bear's popularity, and that fact that his signature knives made by Gerber, are selling very well. My first impression, without actually handling one, is that the knife appears to have a good design. But I couldn't quite bring myself to buy one.
I was saved from testing this knife by Jarhead Survivor from the excellent SHTF (Sewage Hits The Fan) blog. Jarhead did a comprehensive, and I believe, fair review of the Bear Grylls survival knife.
Here's Jarhead:
A couple of weeks ago I bought a Gerber Bear Grylls survival knife to try out.  To be honest, I’d never seen the guy’s show, so I watched part of an episode on Youtube to see what it was about.  If he really did half the crazy stuff in a real emergency survival situation that he does on his show he’d be dead inside a week.  Not that he doesn’t know his stuff, but the things these shows do for high ratings would get most people killed.
 To read the rest of the story, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment